High Dose Biotin

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      kimmyk525
      Participant

I’ve been taking High Dose Biotin daily for many years at Dr. Baker’s suggestion. It has to be ordered from a compounding pharmacy and is expensive but… the one does in hopes of feeling better. The info below is an article regarding a study published December 2020 in Lancet Neurology (Lancet is kinda a big deal in medicine)

***Biotin for progressive MS: Only modest benefit vs. placebo in Phase III trial***

High-dose biotin is a pharmaceutical-grade form of vitamin B7 that long has intrigued investigators searching for interventions to halt the neurodegeneration that drives progressive forms of MS. Unfortunately, the results of a large Phase III trial evaluating MD1003, a high-dose biotin from MedDay Pharmaceuticals, suggest that researchers will need to turn their attention to other potential therapies.

The SPI2 study was a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial involving 642 adults enrolled at 90 sites in 13 countries. All participants had a diagnosis of primary or secondary-progressive MS. They were randomly assigned in a 1:1 ratio to receive either 100 mg of oral biotin three times each day or placebo. The study’s primary efficacy endpoint looked at the proportion of study subjects in each group who had confirmed improvement from baseline in the Expanded Disability Status Scale (EDSS) or in a timed 25-foot walk (T25W) at month 12, with confirmatory results at month 15.4

Twelve percent of the study participants receiving MD1003 met that primary endpoint, as did 9% of the people in the placebo group. Meanwhile, 26% of people in each group experienced at least one serious treatment-emergent adverse event. Further, the researchers noted, MD1003 affected the accuracy of laboratory tests that make use of certain antibodies.

Publishing their findings in Lancet Neurology in December, the study’s authors concluded, “MD1003 did not significantly improve disability or walking speed in patients with progressive multiple sclerosis and thus, in addition to the potential of MD1003 for deleterious health consequences from interference of laboratory tests, MD1003 cannot be recommended for treatment of multiple sclerosis.”

https://mymsaa.org/news/whats-new-in-ms-research-january-2021/#biotin

Nicole1242
      Participant

Wow, that is very interesting. I wonder if Dr Baker has read this new study. I would assume he has. Have you seen him and discussed this. Have there been other studies with different results?

kimmyk525
      Participant

Hi Nicole,
      No, I haven’t seen him since reading this. I’m not sure if there are additional studies,but that’s a great question.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.